Monday, March 2, 2015

Morning Moon

I'm kind of a fan of painting literal interpretations of songs.  A line here, a piece of imagery there; something will stick in my mind and I'll find myself wanting to try and paint or draw it.

Acrylic on 12x16 canvas
This is painting, as far as interpretations go, is about as literal as you can get, and it was based off of a verse from Morning Moon, which is the first track off of the Tragically Hip's eleventh album "We Are The Same."
The reactor's down, I guess for Labour Day
Today's the first day I ain't seen a great plume of steam
From across the lake, from across the lake
Hey, that's a morning moon, yeah
It's kind of a "What you see is what you get" or may be a "What you hear is what you get [to see]" kind of thing.

I enjoy the colours.  Probably could have been more careful in creating the reactor's silhouette, as they are a little lopsided.  But I've generally always been pretty happy with how this turned out.  It's pretty.

Incidentally this, along with the Gord Downie portrait, remain the only two portraits that, to date, I have sold for actual, real, legal-tender-for-all-debts money.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave your feedback. Constructive criticism is always welcome.